IEC 60335-2-9:2019 RLV contains both the official IEC International Standard and its Redline version. The Redline version is not an official document, it is available in English only and provides you with a quick and easy way to compare all the changes between the official IEC Standard and its previous edition.
IEC 60335-2-9:2019 deals with the safety of electric portable appliances for household and similar purposes that have a cooking function such as baking, roasting and grilling, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are:
– barbecues for indoor use;
– candy floss appliances;
– contact grills (griddles);
– food dehydrators;
– induction wok hotplates;
– pop-corn makers;
– portable ovens;
– raclette grills;
– radiant grills;
– rotary grills;
– waffle irons;
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home.
However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements could be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– stationary ovens and stationary grills (IEC 60335-2-6);
– warming plates (IEC 60335-2-12);
– frying pans and deep fat fryers (IEC 60335-2-13);
– microwave ovens (IEC 60335-2-25);
– barbecues for outdoor use (IEC 60335-2-78);
– appliances intended to burn charcoal or similar combustible fuels;
– appliances intended for commercial catering;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2008, Amendment 1:2012 and Amendment 2:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– aligns the text with IEC 60335-1, Ed 5, and its Amendments 1 and 2;
– revises the abnormal tests for a toaster (19.11.2, 19.102).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.