IEC 60335-2-2:2019 RLV contains both the official IEC International Standard and its Redline version. The Redline version is not an official document, it is available in English only and provides you with a quick and easy way to compare all the changes between the official IEC Standard and its previous edition.
IEC 60335-2-2:2019 deals with the safety of electric vacuum cleaners and water suction cleaning appliances for household and similar purposes, including vacuum cleaners for animal grooming, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V. It also applies to centrally-sited vacuum cleaners and automatic battery-operated cleaners.
This standard also applies to motorized cleaning heads and current-carrying hoses associated with a particular vacuum cleaner.
Battery-operated appliances and other DC supplied appliances are within the scope of this standard. Dual supply appliances, either mains-supplied or battery-operated, are regarded as battery-operated appliances when operated in the battery mode.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and other premises for normal housekeeping purposes, are within the scope of this standard.
Examples of such appliances are appliances intended to be used for normal housekeeping purposes in hotels, offices, schools, hospitals and similar premises.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– wet and dry vacuum cleaners, including power brush, for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-69).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2009, Amendment 1:2012 and Amendment 2:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– some requirements for appliances for animal grooming have been modified (6.1, 25.7)
– the note in 7.101 has been deleted;
– converted some notes to normative text (7.102, 10.1, 11.3, 13.1, 15.2, 15.101, 19.101, 20.1, 20.2, 21.103, 21.105, 22.32, 25.23);
– clarification that the test of 19.7 is applicable to vacuum cleaners with a motorized brush or similar device;
– modified Annex R for alignment with 22.201 of Annex B;
– modified Annex S in accordance with IEC 60335-2-2:2009/ISH1:2016.
This Part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.